Google+ circles have been widely misunderstood and greatly underutilized. I want to teach you to use Google+ circles the way they were intended, and at the same time cause a #circlesplosion in your social media world.
Starting today I’ll be sharing highly curated circles of people doing great things on Google+. This will undoubtedly be a lot of work for me, but it will greatly benefit those who participate!
Google+ Circles the Right Way
In order to get the most out of your Google+ circles you’ll want to take care in managing them from the start. So before you take part in this #circlesplosion series, go to your Google+ circles and make sure you have created some that make sense. Some ideas for your foundational circles would be:
- Family – only family members and friends who are as close as family.
- Friends – people who are friends but not quite family.
- Co-Workers/Colleagues – people you work with or have a professional relationship to.
- Interested – people who seem interested in and would like to get to know better.
- Following – people who you never want to miss a post from (like me!).
Those are a good place to start, and are basic enough that nearly everyone will be covered. Take care to add people to them wisely as this will really come in handy when you’re deciding who to share things with.
In addition to your foundational circles, start creating circles that are highly specific to your interests. If you are passionate about coffee (like I am) you can create a circle of coffee lovers whom you can share all of your coffee exploits with. Or if you’re passionate about cat memes, you can create a circle of people who post excessive amounts of them.
Creating and curating and then sharing circles around your passions will help you get connected to more people like you and will greatly enhance your Google+ presence. Now let’s get that kick started…
#circlesplosion – Let’s Esplode Your Circles
Starting today I’ll be crowdsourcing some specific circles and sharing them on Google+. As I share each one, I’ll update this post with the list of shared circles.
How does this benefit you? Well firstly, these shared circles will help connect you to more people who share your passions. Growing your network by sharing and being shared has never been easier!
For those who participate, I’ll be curating a circle of participants as the #circlesplosion catches on, and once we’ve gotten a good amount of shared circles, I’ll share a final circle of the #circlesplosion stars! So be sure to use the hashtag and participate by commenting on Google+ with your suggestions and sharing the circles (when they are relevant to you).
Here is the working list of curated #circlesplosion circles (updated with a link when each circle is shared):
- Creativity and Inspiration – the most creative and inspiring people on Google+.
- The Most Helpful People on Google+ – a group of people who make Google+ a more helpful place.
- Social Media Mentors – people who make it a point to make people better on Social Media.
- Photographers – the best, most recommended photographers on Google+.
- The Most Interesting Ladies on Google+ – a list of women making an impact and doing interesting things on Google+.
If you have any suggestions for curated circles, please let me know in the comments below! To participate, be sure to circle me on Google+ and leave a comment on something so I can be sure to connect back with you!
Have you been doing Google+ circles the right way? Will you be jumping on the #circlesplosion bandwagon? You can leave a comment by clicking here.